Sunday, on the days that we have church lunches, we often have a competition, of who can bring the best thing to the shared lunch. This time 'round, I made a Pav.


3 Egg Whites
3 Tablespoons cold water
1 cup castor sugar
1Tsp Vinegar
1Tsp Vanilla Essence
3Tsp Cornflour

Beat egg whites until stiff, add cold water and beat again. Add castor sugar very gradually while still beating. Slow beater and add vinegar, vanilla and cornflour. Place on greased paper on greased tray and bake at 150 degrees C for 45 minutes, then leave to cool in the oven.

This one at the beginning was going to either be about a kitchen where implements of terror are made or about a p lab. I just thought that I might need to explain it a bit more.

The Synthesis

Heat radiated from the discoloured aluminium pot on the stove, the flames from the gas fire enveloping the exposed metal with a soft blue haze. The hand inhabiting the perishing yellow rubber glove grasped the corroded long handled spoon made out of indeterminable materials and slowly, carefully stirred the opaque mucilaginous liquid. The hand performing this potentially dangerous task belonged to John. With his other hand, the now slightly apprehensive John turned on the air vent. The poisonous fumes surged from the incandescent flames, the smoky gaseous vapour climbed as it was sucked into the tube through the fan, wafting into the clean air outside, warming the earth by some ingenious method whereby the gas in question was able to either retain the heat, or somehow reflect it better than it’s neighbouring molecules of nitrogen and oxygen, somehow insulating the earth better from the coldness of the vacuum of space. With a slightly shaking hand (coffee) John poured the rapidly jellifying plastic explosive into a square steel container to set. C4. Guaranteed to obliterate the competition.

La Pavlova es bonito

26 comments:

John Sinclair said...

the Raxworhty files? the legendary-to-the-point-of-near-mythdom Raxfiles? you mean to say you've seen them? Those inegmatic historical records that have been lost in the vast sea of information that is the 'net for nigh on two months? Hush! you don't want the minions of the good doctors half evil twin to find out about this! it's all they need for their diabolical plan of world domination.......

which ones are you talking about? because there are two possibly conflicting versions that I know about in existance.....

John Sinclair said...

well, I made the semi-official website if that's what you mean...

John Sinclair said...

That would have to be Andrew then.

John Sinclair said...

long story. Maybe fuel for another blog.....

Andy said...

"...miles and miles of taekwondo styles, hacking nefarious entities secret files..." What goes on here, John? In response to your question Becky - what is this raxworthy thing? You'll obviously need to research some more. That "chapter something" is a bit off the cuff...

John, mind if I comment on your pav? (just so that all your "listeners" out there can have a more balanced opinion on how it turned out?)

to the days Johnboy!

John Sinclair said...

No, you can comment on the pav'

Anonymous said...

Darren Raxworthy is.

Andy said...

i think a comment on the pav would be somewhat innapropriate, seeing as John might see it! Lets not offend the weaker brother here; good try, John. A square pav with (milo?) sprinkled on it. I didn't try it, so I won't be offering any quips on the taste, but aesthetically, it looked...

John Sinclair said...

oh come on Andrew, I think I should have at least a bonus point for ambition (sp?) and everyone who tasted it said that it was good. so there.

John Sinclair said...

not quite.

Andy said...

well put, Johnboy - "not quite", I'd have to second that, or at least underline, emphasise that! Yol, Andrew Sinclair is Andrew Moore' friend - and I am led to believe that the same is true for the "vice versa" of that statment!
Yo, all these big words! To quote Anon's comment (see above), "Raxworthy is". Thats kind of all we know - myself, John and the boys... I'll put some more of the Raxfiles online - probably mainly on my site (throw a bit of marketing in here!) - www.aphmoore.bravehost.com, and probably with links to them on my blog...
for (all = our desperate friends; (ha!));
{
return laughter;
}
}
It's java on the brain! See you guys.

Re: the Raxfiles: I've written a few of them, John has contributed in his own (ah), particular way. Lyd was keen to write some, (but she's probably more "talk" than action, and just wanting to be involved). Si also started something...
We'll see how things progress - watch this space!

Andy said...

yeah, and that brings up another question!? Who is Becky? Her profile says she's 16 but working full time in sales? Hardcore!

Andy said...

John, this is a popular blog. 'on ya mate.

John Sinclair said...

"weaker brother"? it's an inside joke derived from Romans 14 (I think)

as to whether it's popular, I guess once we have other people posting comments, I'll be more convinced.

Andy said...

(cognitive thinking) "um", isn't the fact that I am posting comments on your blog an indicator of the feelings of the general populus towards it? forgive.

Andy said...

"DNS stuff" link is cool bro

Anonymous said...

Hey man this is an awesome blog!

Andy said...

Yes... Just checking out your blog - and mine in IE, and while yours doesn't look that much worse, my sidebar is weird, it's way down the bottom...

John Sinclair said...

Great to see that there are at least some people getting something from my literary madness (I think I crossed that fine line between genius and madness some time ago)

John Sinclair said...

so someone has been promoting this here blog then?

Andy said...

then there's the link to your blog, on my blog which I'm sure just a few of the many people regularly reading my blog will have followed. If even 1 in 10 of my readers followed the link to your blog, John, that would make up for at least 300 of your hits. And then when we factor in your (daily) visits which are counted, and the fact that you started the counter at 150... Yes, when it's all in perspective Becky, it may not have been those txts after all! (LOL!) - forgive!

Andy said...

Hypotheticalising huh? Well, that's not concrete, so I'll stick with my explanation. Or. John, you've adjusted your site hit counter so that when you get one hit, it registers 10, you beggar!

John Sinclair said...

My counter let me down, It died and went down to zero. I had to reset it to 500 because that's where I can remember it got to before dying on me (that's the second time that's happened on this blog, so the real numbers would be more in the 700 odd range

Andy said...

hahahah. What about all the followed links on my blog? (rotglmho)

Andy said...

know how, can do!
John's got his own counter, but the simplest way to to it is to go to sitemeter.com I found it pretty simple... Sign up if you want. I signed up with 'em the other day. When you've done that, ask John or me. (if you ask John, he'll tell you to google it!!!)

to the days,

Andy said...

you have to also paste the code they give you somewhere in the template of your blog...