I needed to network our house a few days back. The heat in the roof was unjustifiable, but I needed to get those cables laid...

THE CAVE

With the light strapped to my head, balancing on a ladder, I hauled myself into the narrow mouth of the cave, the cold air from over the plain blasted into the small hole with a wind tunnel effect. I perched on a ledge and checked my gear for the dozenth time, making sure that I hadn’t left any essential equipment behind. Satisfied with my preparedness, I eased myself off the edge and into the precipice.

Etched into the bedrock with a mild acid, the cave is situated near geothermic activity making it hot work. The limestone walls close in with a claustrophobia that is intensified by the heat, making the seemingly infinite blackness of the cave when the light goes out grip the soul with a dread of unnamed and unconscious, possibly irrational fears.

The task complete I staggered along the footholds that I had picked out on the way in. To slip was to fall into oblivion. With sweat dripping from my face because of the intense heat, I clambered out to the mouth and cool safety. Mission Accomplished

No comments: